Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Long time coming; rise of the "pod".

Well, it's been a few months since I last posted, so I'm going to try and post comments with more frequency. This blog is a work in progress with adding a few examples of my past work as well as tuning the "look" of my blog.

A few months ago I purchased an Apple iPod(touch)4. Of course, I know exactly what you are thinking; what took so long? Well, I went through a couple of "Palm" handhelds (remember Palm PDAs?) and a Dell Axim v51 - which worked for me pretty well until my dog ran into me one afternoon and I dropped in on the floor. The impact instantly dispatched the Dell to PDA heaven.

So this was an opportunity to look at Apple devices. I was not automatically sold on Apple as I've always existed in the Microsoft OS "realm", and saw no reason to leave it. The Mac world was foreign to me; I've always felt the Gates system was far superior to Jobs rickety concoction. When measured together, Microsoft compared to Apple is a lumbering behemoth, and Apple was just some "niche" player in my eyes.

That said, I honestly can say nothing detrimental about the pod. It is superior to my Axim and T3 in every way; even in terms of power consumption. Compared to the T3, the pod is a Volkswagen, the T3 is a Hummer H2, hands down. My pod is a 32GB model, and as such, I've literally PACKED it FULL of software apps. Additionally, my pod has every feature imaginable (2 cameras, headphone, speakers, clock, recorder, yada yada), but for the telephony service. Aside from that, it does EVERYTHING else the vaunted iPhone does.

Just recently I discovered a way to "jail break" the pod so that it can make and receive phone calls. Imagine that, spending half the cost of the iPhone and still getting every feature it has (they need to throw my ass into the joint, lol). I guess there are many iPhone people out there who do not want to hear this, better luck next time. Needless to say I am now a happy camper. I used to think my silver T3 was the cat's ass, but the pod literally stomps on it. Goodbye Palm, it was nice while it lasted.

One attribute that intrigues me about the pod is it's black screen (when turned off). Sitting on my desk the little thing mimics some kind of strange alien artifact. Blank and mysterious, nothing in it's form hints what it does.

I remember studying semantics in product design for a couple of semesters in school, all that is thrown out on it's ass by the pod. Way back there in undergrad school the professors used to chant like thirteenth century holy I.D. monks - "less is more", "less is more", "less is more"...damned if they weren't right. My poor old fax machine might as well be a 20 ton block of stone in one of the Egyptian pyramids.

No comments:

Post a Comment